PFC-VoW Book Awards 2020
Valley of Words (VoW), a not-for-profit initiative of The Shivalik Hills Foundation Trust, Dehradun, which organizes an annual event- The International Literature and Arts Festival, will mark its fourth edition on 20 – 22 November 2020.
PFC Limited, which is now the major stakeholder in REC (formerly Rural Electrification Corporation Limited, a Navratna PSU involved in power sector financing and development) and Valley of Words have joined hands to acknowledge and celebrate writings published in India during the course of the preceding year (2019) through the ‘PFC-VoW Book Awards’.
While the event brings together the entire literary community of authors, readers, publishers and booksellers, the Book Awards provide a platform for the shortlisted authors to share their works with a larger audience. This forum also serves as a platform to showcase fresh talent, creating a confluence of ideas and creativity. We are committed to support cultural diversity and inclusion.
Nominations are invited for Book Awards 2020 subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Submissions will only be accepted from established and registered publishing houses having offices within the territorial jurisdiction of India. There is no limitation on the number of submissions in each category. In other words, a publisher may send books by multiple authors across categories.
- Nominations are accepted in the following categories :
- Creative Writing in English (Fiction & Poetry)
- English Non- Fiction
- Creative Writing in Hindi (Fiction & Poetry)
- Hindi Non- Fiction
- Translation from Hindi and other Regional Languages into English
- Translation from Regional Languages into Hindi
- Writings for young adults (English/Hindi)
- Five identical hard copies of each book must be submitted by India Speed Post or Courier by the Publisher along with the nomination form (which can be downloaded from the VoW website) clearly stating the category the book(s) submitted are to be adjudicated. After the adjudication process, the books will be placed in the ‘VoW Book Shelf’ which is placed in the different cafes in Dehradun and Mussoorie from where readers can borrow books.
- Eligible titles must have been published in print during the previous calendar year (2019). Each entry should be the author’s original work or an authorised translation into Hindi or English. Books will be received in good faith, and plagiarism checks should be done by the publisher before submitting a book or multiple books. The Shivalik Hills Foundation Trust will not be responsible for any plagiarism issues which come to light at any point of time, even after the Awards have been given.
- The following publications are not eligible for submission:
Academic Books and Theses, Edited Volumes, Anthologies or Books written by more than one author, Reference Books, Text Books, Guide Books, Educational Materials including books made of open access Study-Materials online, Manuals, Reprints and Television, Radio and Film Tie- ins/Trivia and ghostwritten books.
- All books entered must have a registered ISBN number or equivalent indicator recognised by international book repositories.
- Hardbacks and paperbacks may be submitted in five copies as mentioned above. Soft copies of any book will NOT be accepted for adjudication.
- All entries must be submitted in five (5) identical hard copies to
Mr Bikram Singh / Mr HB Thapliyal
The Shivalik Hills Foundation Trust
Second Floor, Santosh Tower
Mazara, Saharanpur Road,
Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001
- Entries must be submitted along with the nomination form [and an email to [email protected]] with all details of the books sent.
- Books will be received till 23:59 hours, 31 March 2020. The Shivalik Hills Foundation Trust reserves the right to extend the closing date of the competition.
- Proof of posting a submission is not proof of receipt by The Shivalik Hills Foundation Trust. The Trust will accept no responsibility for submissions that are delayed, misdirected or otherwise lost prior to receipt.
- A panel of judges, including at least one member who is independent of PFC-VoW, will select a shortlist from all valid entries received in accordance with the evaluation criteria for good literature. Shortlisted entrants shall be sent notifications of their short-listing on or before 30th June 2020 and the shortlisted titles will be posted on the VoW website.
- The PFC-VoW team reserves the right to modify the leadership team or to add therein if there are unavoidable circumstances. Events of the nature of the ‘Acts of God’ category may force PFC-VoW to alter its adjudication method/team/leadership structure.
- A second panel of Judges, including at least one member who is independent of PFC-VoW, will select the 5 (five) finalists from all valid shortlisted entries on or before 30th September 2020.
- All the finalists for the PFC-VoW Awards 2020 will be invited to attend Valley of Words International Literature and Arts Festival from 20-22 November, 2020 in Dehradun. The organisers are not responsible for any medical reimbursements to any author or publisher who participates in the Valley of Words.
- The winners of the PFC-VoW Awards 2020 will be announced between 20-22 November at Valley Of Words International Literature and Arts Festival 2020 and will be shared at valleyofwords.org after the actual awards-giving ceremony is over.Payment of the individual prize of INR 1,00,000 each, along with a certificate and plaque will be presented to the Awardees during VoW 2020.
- All shortlisted books will be reviewed/ featured in a special issue of The Book Review, closer to the festival, in 2020.
- While PFC-VoW and The Shivalik Hills Foundation Trust believe in ethical transparency, we also believe in the need for confidentiality and fairness in the process of adjudicating. No publisher or author will try to find out about the judges till after the actual physical awards of prizes in each category. Judges, authors and/or publishers found unethical will be liable to prosecution in Indian courts of law. While certain criteria for good judgement may be published, the names of judges and their identities will not be disclosed before the end of the Awards ceremony at Dehradun.
- The judges’ decision is final and cannot be contested. No correspondence will be entertained by PFC-VoW and The Shivalik Hills Foundation Trust with the authors or publishers in this regard. When choosing the shortlisted books and the winners, the judges will select the entries which in their combined wisdom are the best in terms of set standards followed globally. Ethical practices will be strictly adhered to from the moment the nominated books are received.
- The publisher must have the consent of the author to submit the title or titles to the PFC-VoW Awards 2020. In addition, the publisher must secure the consent of the author to participate in promotional activity, including publication of the author’s name and image, in connection with the PFC-VoW Book Awards 2020 on the reasonable request of PFC-VoW.
- The PFC-VoW Book Awards 2020 are not open to employees of PFC- VoW or their family members, nor to anyone else connected with the aforementioned Awards.
- Entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions shall not be considered for the competition. By submitting a title to the PFC-VoW Book Awards 2020, the publisher of the submitted title warrants and represents that it has complied with the protocol of the PFC-VOW Book Awards 2020, including the terms and conditions mentioned here.
- The Shivalik Hills Foundation Trust reserves the right to not award a prize in any category whatsoever without disclosing the reasons thereof.
- Indian laws shall govern the PFC-VoW Book Awards 2020 and any dispute arising in this regard will be subject only to Indian courts of law.
Come, let us join in celebrating the Word.